Operating Divisions of the Historical Society of Western Virginia

The Historical Society of Western Virginia operates four divisions. The History Museum of Western Virginia, the O. Winston Link Museum, the Crystal Spring Pump Station, and Kegley Publications. Established in 1957, the Historical Society promotes an interest in a broad spectrum of history with emphasis on that of southwestern Virginia; and it collects, preserves, interprets, and makes available materials relating to that history. The Historical Society also sponsors research and publication in the field of regional history; and provides educational services to adults, secondary students and younger children throughout southwestern Virginia as part of its work with area schools and colleges. The vision of HSWV is to become the source of the cultural heritage of southwestern Virginia for students, scholars, researchers and the general public; and become a leader in the museum industry in Virginia.

Located in Center in the Square, the History Museum of Western Virginia is the oldest museum within the Historical Society's operations. The collections of the History Museum include "A Crossroads of History," which interpret 10,000 years of southwestern Virginia's heritage through artifacts that span the whole of peoples' known experience throughout the region. A full schedule of rotating exhibits allows the Museum to focus on a variety of people, industries and events that have influenced the development of western Virginia.
Click for full site.

The O. Winston Link Museum is the newest museum within the Historical Society's operations - it opened to the public in January of 2004. The Link Museum is housed in a restored Norfolk & Western Railway passenger station and the Museum's collections focus on the striking photographs and recordings made by O. Winston Link between 1955 and 1960. Link's work constitutes the single most important photographic series taken of western Virginia and documents the end of steam railroading in the U.S.
Click for full site.

The Historical Society also operates a historic site, Crystal Spring Pump Station Listed on both the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places, the Pump Station is located at the foot of Mill Mountain in a brick building that houses the magnificent steam-driven water pump that once served as the primary source of Roanoke's water for over 50 years.
click for more details

The Kegley Publication Fund was established with the Foundation for Roanoke Valley in memory of F.B. Kegley of Wythe County, author of Kegley's Virginia Frontier. Kegley Publications publishes books about local and regional history as well as an annual Journal.
click for more details